Sunday, November 03, 2013

November, Glenalmond and Flying Horses

(Monet Houses of Parliament 1905)

For the last few months I've been writing about London in November.  It's pretty normal to be writing about heat when it's winter, or leaves falling at about the time they're just re-appearing.  But now, it IS November.  It'll be interesting to read back, and see if I've been getting it right.  And then I really should go down to London and check that ...  

This week has had two loads of lovely writing to read in it.  I was invited on Saturday to Glenalmond College as the judge for a Junior Writing Competition involving several schools.  There were 18 finalists in 3 categories (7-8, 9-10, 11-12) and I had a whale of a time - thank you very much for inviting me, and for writing so well!

I also got through the post a fine fat envelope full of poems and pictures about flying horses from the P5 class at St Sylvester's Primary School in Elgin.  We'd met at the Spirit of Moray Book Festival.  It was great to see your work, so thank you Wishe, Paige, Aidan, Catherine, Robyn, Meadow, Kyle, Emily, Emma, Lara, Tegan, Lily, Marija, Amy, Carly, Chloe, Mariem, Sophie, AJ, Olivia, Lewis, Daniel, Geordan, Katie, Megan, Sean, Jason, Callum, Mati, and Ms McKenna!

(I'm having trouble finding exact dates for Monet's Houses of Parliament paintings - the year, fine, but I don't know which ones were painted specifically in November.  So here's another one, just because it looks like November and I really like it, but it's just a guess.  Anyone who knows, please tell!)


                            (Monet Houses of Parliament 1904)

3 Comments:

At 11:52 AM, Blogger madwippitt said...

Coo flying horses! Hope they can see alright in the autumn fogs ...

 
At 1:04 AM, Blogger Jim said...

Dates for Monet. On quick search I could not find full dates either, but there was a suggestion that the parliament pictures might have been started on the spot but finished back in France, perhaps using supplementary material sent over from England. Which might confuse trying to tie the thing down to a particular month.

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger Joan Lennon said...

Indeed, Madwippitt, it's a concern. And thank you Jim - I didn't know that, and was getting quite cranky about it all!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home